In just a single day, the Ebola epidemic has claimed the life of 26 people in the North Kivu province of DR Congo, which is the highest mortality toll recorded since the outbreak of the disease in August last year, said the Health Ministry on Tuesday.
This is the 2nd fatal Ebola outbreak on record post the epidemic which hit western Africa between 2014 an 2016 and claimed the life of over 11,000 people.
As per the Health Ministry, 957 cases of death have been recorded in the DR Congo, which includes 891 confirmed as well as 66 suspected cases. As on Sunday, 28 April, there were 26 deaths reported from the confirmed Ebola cases in the North Kivu province, said the ministry. Moreover, of the 957 death cases in the country, 33 were health workers who succumbed to the deadly disease.
The present Ebola outbreak is the 10th one recorded in the last 40 years in the North Kivu province, declared the DR Congo.
Mangina was the epicentre of the outbreak initially; however, it later shifted to the city of Beni. The local organisations say that the number of deaths associated to Ebola is increasing rapidly in the country’s eastern regions.
The WHO chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that the doctors are trying their best and will continue to work and do everything possible to protect the people from the fatal disease.